Why not consider Entrepreneurship as a career - same way as being a doctor, engineer, manager, banker, consultant, or an artist? Why can't there be a 'career entrepreneur'? If one is serious about entrepreneurship, he should think of it has a career, rather than as a single shot / single phase in life.
- Start small: In all professions, one starts at the bottom. So, why not start a small business to start? It helps you learn the basics and prepare for next steps.
- Move up gradually: Don't look for the big bang hit (if it happens, great!), but move up gradually. Like any career, choose a field in which there is scope to move ahead.
- Be ready to do crap: You do crappy things in the world's most glorified jobs also - why shy away in entrepreneurship?
- Be ready to handle crap: Stupid boss / managers are the same as irritating co-founders, employees and customers.
- Have mentors: In any other career, you need mentors too - even more important in entrepreneurship
- Switch: A popular way to progress in any career is to switch jobs. An entrepreneur should be open to switching his business as and when need arises.
- Take a break when necessary: If things are not going well, take a break and come back after some time. It is a 40 year career, not a 3 year stint.
- Maintain work-life balance: Don't ignore your family
Entrepreneurship is a career, not a stint interspersed in another career.